2 Duck Breasts (or Duck Legs)
2 Orange Kumara (sweet potato), diced
2 cups of red grapes
Handful of thyme
1. Take the duck out of the fridge at least 15-30 minutes before cooking. Pat dry the breasts, score the skin (make shallow diagonal cuts across the width and length in a crisscross cutting through the fat but not the meat), and cover both sides in salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
3. When the duck has rested at least 15 minutes put a pan on the stove on medium-high heat and put the duck skin side down in the COLD pan. Do not let the pan heat up before adding the duck. At the same time put the kumara in the oven in a baking dish.
4. The fat on the duck breast will start to render as the pan heats up. This can take anywhere from 6 - 15 minutes depending on size of duck breast, amount of fat and how much fat you like. It should sizzle like bacon so if it stops sizzling then the fat is rendered as much as it can be. Turn the breast over and seal the other side of the breasts.
5. Add the duck breasts (skin side up) and grapes to the pan with the kumara and finish off for 5-10 minutes until kumara is soft and grapes have blistered.
6. Leave Duck breast to rest a couple of minutes before slicing.
7. Serve with spinach or a simple salad. Serves 2