An indulgent dessert or afternoon tea.
6 large croissants (baked and sliced)
6 large peaches (sliced) or substitute for apricots, fruit jam, compote or whatever you have available
1/2 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate pieces
1/2 cup sliced almonds (or any nuts that go with fruit)
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup caster sugar
1. Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper so there are no gaps for custard to leak.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and then whisk together with sugar. Heat milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon in a pan and heat to nearly a boil. Whisk the milk mixture into the eggs and sugar slowly and whisk the whole time so the eggs don't scramble.
4. Cover base of loaf tin with croissant slices packed tightly. Layer 1/3 peaches, chocolate and almonds on top. Repeat to make another 2 layers.
5. Pour custard over the top until it's all absorbed through gaps.
6. Bake for an hour or until custard is fully set in the middle.
7. Serve warm with cream or ice cream for dessert or let cool and dust with icing sugar for morning/afternoon tea